Monday, February 11, 2008

670 Million Miles Per Hour


Life is light. My purpose on earth is to shine my light like a star shining in the sky.

Why do stars shine light? Scientists understand how a star shines, but little thought has gone into why. Explosive nuclear fusion and contracting gravitational pull create volatile balance which is how a star produces light, but for what reason.

I tilt my head back to gaze at the night sky, and the light I see conveys a message. I wonder who else is looking at these stars and are they getting the message. I wonder if the stars are able to in some way "feel" each other's light. Maybe the sun spots and solar flares we have witnessed on the surface of the sun are the words and language of stars. Light gives us energy and heat, most people figure this is all the sun is good for. I feel that its benefits to us are nearly irrelevant and that star light has greater purpose.

"670 Million Miles Per Hour" is the speed of light, and the title of the above painting. The painting is meant to put the spotlight on light and to get people thinking about what light is really about. I've gathered a lot of star light in my brain and I've reached a higher understanding of what stars are saying with their shine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

do you remember that scene from the lion king where timon and pumba were talking about stars? and yes you are a star. like that jeremih song.